Ministry strategies and programming are constantly changing, and as a result, many churches, ministries, and nonprofits must continuously evolve. At some point during this ongoing evolution, the organization must undergo rebranding in order to for the relationship between the ministry and those it serve to remain relevant.
With nonprofits and non-church organizations, this rebranding is generally initiated by the head of the organization, such as the director, coordinator, or CEO. However, with church ministries, the initiator of rebranding may be the pastor or director of a specific ministry rather than the senior or executive pastor(s). That being said, it’s incredibly important that the senior leadership of the church is onboard with a church ministry rebranding initiative, as rebranding will affect not just that ministry but the church as a whole. Rebranding without the support of the senior leadership is an unwise decision and may have consequences.
Before rebranding, church ministries need to be able to answer a couple of questions. The questions below are a start, but they are definitely not exhaustive.
- Why are we rebranding?
- How can we allow those who are part of our ministry to be involved in rebranding?
- Are we pigeonholed as something that we (as a ministry) have outgrown? (ie: specific programs, ways of doing ministry, etc)
- Right now, when outsiders look at us, as a brand, for the first time, what do they see and feel? What do we want them to see and feel?
- What are we shifting away from and shifting towards?
- In a sentence or two, what do we want to be known as?
- What do we want to stand for?
- What do we want our message to be?
- How will rebranding affect/change how we do ministry?
- What are the goals of the rebrand?
- Do we have a target demographic?
It’s also important to look into whether or not rebranding one ministry will cause another ministry to need rebranding. For example, if the children’s ministry rebrands and changes the way it does ministry, it will affect how the junior high and senior high youth ministries function and may force them to reevaluate their ministry and branding.
Shoot me an email at email@example.com with the subject line “Free Half-Hour of Consultitng” to get a free 30 minutes with me via Skype to go through any of these (or other) questions you have or anything regarding branding/rebranding proccess. You must book by 9/25/16.